Estate Planning & Tax

real estate attorneyAttorney McCook offers estate planning for married couples, single people, and alternative families.  He provides flat fee services for advising clients on estate planning and drafting wills, health care proxies, durable powers of attorney, and trusts.  Attorney McCook also assists clients with the settling of estates through the probate process.

Attorney McCook is also a Registered Tax Return Preparer with the Internal Revenue Service. He prepares and files federal and state income tax returns for over 150 clients.  He can prepare and file returns in all fifty states. He also prepares estate tax and trust returns. Filing is done electronically at no additional charge.

For a tax return appointment, please click here or call the office.  Thank you.


The Will & the Basic Estate Plan

Along with a durable power of attorney and a health care proxy, a will is the centerpiece of the basic estate plan. If you have minor children, then it is strongly recommended that you have at least a basic estate plan because you decide, and not a judge, who will be the guardian of your children if the need should arise. Also, a will can set up a trust to support your minor children. Whether you have minor children or not, a will is a legal document that designates who gets your assets and by implication, who does not. Keep in mind that a will does not supersede the beneficiary designations in what are known as non-probate assets such as life insurance, 401(k) accounts, IRAs, pensions.

A person should update their will whenever any of the following happens in their life:
• Divorce, marriage, or re-marriage
• There is a substantial change in assets
• There is a death of an intended beneficiary
• There is a death of a named guardian, personal representative (formerly known as the executor or executrix), or trustee.
• Birth or adoption of people who should be named in your will
• You move to a different state.
• Children reach the age of eighteen.
• In the near future you will start receiving required distributions from an IRA, 401(k), or other qualified plan.